Thursday, November 4, 2010

Review of Issue 10 in Blackguard blog


A certain Stratu, who I met at the zine fair on the weekend has done a write up of Capital Eyes issue #10. That's fast, it was only made on Saturday morning, and one week later it's already being reviewed.

I think that takes the total reviews to about 3. Haha. I'm really happy with the review actually, maybe I will have to make some more, as I ran out of the ones I had at the fair.

Stratu edits the Comix zine Blackguard, I got #3 at the fair, and I picked up #2 when I was in Adelaide earlier in the year. He makes another zine called Grunted Warning too.

Here's what he had to say...

14 pages, A4, $?, Dan, capital-eyes.blogspot.com
For the recent Capital Letters zine fair in Canberra, organiser Sticky produced a really cool little booklet featuring Top Fives for all the ziner table holders. You could do five of your favourite anything. When we got there and set up our table I was flipping through the booklet, and Dan's Top 5 got my attention. #2 was 4 Dead - Blood and Piss. #4 was I Exist - I: A Turn For The Worse. The names sounded like metal bands, but not any I had heard of. I had to meet this Dan and find out what his zine was. It turned out the names were of hardcore bands and Dan makes this zine about the hardcore scene.
This issue, #10, was put together in time for the Canberra zine fair. It reprints two older interviews (with Break Even and Alexisonfire). Band interviews can be really boring, but Dan's got something going on because his are very good. He also writes about coming to Sydney to see some bands, feeling like he's getting too old for moshing and crowdsurfing. Then he's off to Melbourne to see more bands, well the same ones he saw in Sydney too. Holy shit, he did this all in one weekend! Back to work in Canberra for 8:30am Monday morning.
I really enjoyed his piece about working shitty jobs while in Melbourne, and some of the scammers out there, even what some of these charitable organisations get up to. He covers a depressive crisis he had there too which anybody who has suffered from depression/anxiety will appreciate.
[I also got CE#8 (interviews with Four Dead, Dangers) and CE#9 (Jerkstore, Ruiner and To The North).]

No comments:

Daniel is now living in Santiago de Chile. You can find some more writing at I Love Chile

Recent Issues of Capital Eyes zine:

Issue 12- Sticky's Target 168: Russia
Issue 11- Yoko Oh No, Elysian
Issue 10- Break Even, Alexisonfire (reprints)
Issue 9- Jerkstore, Ruiner, To The North
Issue 8- 4 Dead, Dangers
Issue 7- Polar Bear Club, Jungle Fever