Sunday, September 12, 2010

I mentioned in my last post that I have been working on a project for my Dad's 50th birthday.

I have received some great stories about the inner city Sydney punk rock scene in the late 1970s, mainly the bands which formed after the demise of the mighty Radio Birdman. Some of these will be appearing in my next issue.

One of the main bands talked about was The Hitmen.

I was looking for some pictures and came across this interview, done in the mid 90s, with their lead singer Jonny Kannis.

I also did an interview with Jerkstore today. It came about in a bit of a strange way actually. I was down at Lyneham shops playing Footbag, it's a good place for me to play because it's near my house and sometimes people get interested and wonder what I'm doing.

So anyway, Julian came by and I asked what he was up to. He said they were having a band meeting. I suggested that was not punk. Later Pete K argued that maybe they are not a punk band, so it doesn't matter.

We talked about tapes, as Jerkstore are doing a tape release in the UK. I think tapes are making a comeback in a pretty strong way. The nostalgia value seems to really be getting the tape thing happening.

It was a pretty weird interview actually, but I think I will be able to get something out of it. We did talk for 25 minutes, but a lot of that was not quality interviewing.

The Capital Eyes organisation is now renowned for its quality in previous publications though...standards, etc. It's DIY, it doesn't matter.

I was going to do the new issue tonight, but I think I will wait and put a bit more work into the layout of the zine.

It's going to have interviews with Ruiner, To The North, Jerkstore and that 70's punk rock piece.

I begin my first assignment for BMA tomorrow, with an interview with Shihad.

No comments:

Daniel is now living in Santiago de Chile. You can find some more writing at I Love Chile

Recent Issues of Capital Eyes zine:

Issue 12- Sticky's Target 168: Russia
Issue 11- Yoko Oh No, Elysian
Issue 10- Break Even, Alexisonfire (reprints)
Issue 9- Jerkstore, Ruiner, To The North
Issue 8- 4 Dead, Dangers
Issue 7- Polar Bear Club, Jungle Fever