Friday, September 30, 2011

Tomorrow is my Dad's birthday. Each year around this time he gets together with his mates from high school (and their families) in the Blue Mountains.

The Beach. The Beach is something that has been in my thoughts just as long, or longer than the Canberra Raiders. Funny to say that for somebody that has not spent a lot of time living by the coastline. I grew up in Bega (think cheese), which is on the south coast of New South Wales. The lakes of Canberra are not really renowned for their surf, but whenever I go home I try to get down to the water. This post is brought to you from a rather different beach, Lamai Beach on Koh Samui, Thailand. I just spent a couple of nights in hospital and now I begin my recovery period sitting looking out on the bay, thinking and writing. The photo here is of me and my Dad, taken at Middle Beach, Tanja. We lived just down the road when I was between the ages of 3 and 6. This is still usually my first pick of beaches to go when I go back home, although inconsistent swells seem to have moved Dad away from Middle as his first pick. Just last year we went together, as well as my sister, on a surf trip to Papua New Guinea. I’m sure that will come up again later as well, but this is one of my posts which will outline what I write about, what I will write about in this blog and some things that inspire and influence me.

I haven't got to go every year, actually I've only got to go a couple of times in recent years, but last year was Dad's 50th, so I tried to do something a bit special. What I did was to collect some stories, some great memories, mainly from these mates coming to the weekend away, also family and other friends as well.

The project really turned out so much better than I expected, with lots of help in the design from Francisca. If you have read any of the issues of Capital Eyes, you will notice my artistic pedigree is not very high.

It was great to find all these old pictures and scan some of them in when I was putting everything together. This is me, not sure what age, maybe about 3 or 4. I had those little trucks for so many years, but they had a mean rust on them after many years outside, but in this picture they look close to brand new.

No comments:

Daniel is now living in Santiago de Chile. You can find some more writing at I Love Chile

Recent Issues of Capital Eyes zine:

Issue 12- Sticky's Target 168: Russia
Issue 11- Yoko Oh No, Elysian
Issue 10- Break Even, Alexisonfire (reprints)
Issue 9- Jerkstore, Ruiner, To The North
Issue 8- 4 Dead, Dangers
Issue 7- Polar Bear Club, Jungle Fever